New! Bridge Construction InformationThe $63 million rehabilitation of the westbound Interstate 70 Missouri River Bridge (Blanchette Bridge) will close and detour traffic starting November 2012. Additionally overnight and weekend closures will happen Summer 2012 at the Earth City Expressway interchange and at the bridge.
- Please refer to our Overview Map or Close Up Detour Map. These maps will highlight alternate routes to help I-70 drivers get around.
- View the MoDot presentation for a complete overview of the project.
- Visit www.modot.org/blanchettebridge to view project information and to sign up for email updates.
- View the St. Charles Area Transit (SCAT) presentation for information on utilizing public transit during the bridge rehabilitation.
- Visit the RideFinders web page for information on carpool and vanpool options.
- View the SCAT web page for routes and schedules.
Project Summary -The plan is to close the westbound I-70 Blanchette Bridge and shift the lanes to the eastbound bridge starting approximately the first weekend in November, weather permitting. All of the traffic will stay shifted to the eastbound bridge for less than one year. During the construction, three lanes of eastbound and three lanes of westbound I-70 will be using the eastbound bridge.
The Route 370 (Discovery Bridge) and Route 364 (Veterans Memorial Bridge) are the primary alternate routes to use to avoid congestion on I-70 during the construction. Both bridges are located within a few miles of I-70 and provide an easy alternative to get to and from St. Charles and St. Louis counties as well as in and out of the major business and shopping districts in downtown St. Charles and Earth City.
Construction work to prepare for the closure will begin in summer 2012. Lane closures will occur for this work primarily during off peak hours. There will be three weekends this summer with lane closures on I-70, Earth City Expressway and the ramps at that interchange. Crews will be making repairs to the I-70 bridge over Earth City Expressway on these weekends.
MoDOT reminds motorists to slow down in work zones and avoid distractions to keep yourself and the workers safe.
Driving Directions to Main Street Historic District
- S. Hwy 94 to MO-94 E toward St. Charles; as you travel over Hwy 70, Hwy. 94 turns into First Capitol Drive. First Capitol Drive to 230 South Main Street, which is the Saint Charles Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- N. Hwy 94 to MO-94 turns into Third St.; merge onto N. Third Street/MO-94 W. Turn left onto Tecumseh St./MO-94 (roundabout). Turn right onto N. Second St./MO-94. From N. Second Street turn left on Clark St. and right on Main St.
- 370 West take MO-370W to Exit 7, MO-94/North Third St. Merge onto N. Third Street/MO-94. Turn left onto Tecumseh St./MO-94 (roundabout). Turn right onto N. Second St./MO-94. From N. Second Street turn left on Clark St. and right on Main St.
- 370 East take MO-370E to Exit 7, MO-94/North Third St. Turn right on N. Third St./MO-94. Turn left onto Tecumseh St./MO-94 (roundabout). Turn right onto N. Second St./MO-94. Make a left on Clark St. and right on Main St.
- 70 West take I-70W exit at Fifth St. (Exit 229B) . Right on Fifth Street to Boone's Lick Road, turn right. Left on Main St.
- 70 East take I-70E exit at Fifth St. (Exit 229). Left on Fifth St. to Boone's Lick Road, turn right. Left on Main St.
- 70 East take I-70E exit at First Capitol Dr. (Exit 228). Left on First Capitol Drive to Main St.
- 70 West take I-70W exit to First Capitol Dr. (Exit 228B). Right on First Capitol Drive to Main St.
- 270 to 364 West take the Page Extension across the Veterans Memorial Bridge and exit at Arena Parkway (Exit 14). Turn right and continue past The Family Arena until Arena Parkway dead-ends at Friedens Road/South River Road (approx. two miles). Turn right on South River Road and continue one mile to Main Street, and turn right to enter historic district.
NOTE: On the 364 reference above, consider having visitors continue on South River Road, and thru Fifth Street to Boone's Lick Road, depending upon the status of the South Main (south) construction project.
St. Charles, Missouri Hotel near St. Louis -The Quality Inn & Suites Historic St. Charles is an ideally located hotel nestled on the banks of the Missouri River in St. Charles, Missouri. Explore historic Main Street and Frenchtown, or grab your bike and pedal along the famed Katy Trail. Our St. Charles hotel is located right next door to the Bass Pro Shop, and offers easy access to the St. Charles Convention Center and Lambert-St. Louis International Airport. St. Louis, Missouri is a short 20 mile drive away.
St. Charles, Missouri Leisure Vacation -A central location near all the local sights and attractions makes the Quality Inn & Suites Historic St. Charles a top hotel destination. Eclectic shops, boutiques, unique restaurants and romantic cafes line the brick streets of historic Main Street, while nonstop gambling thrills are only a short distance away at Ameristar Casino.
For exciting concerts and sports entertainment, head to the Family Arena or Verizon Wireless outdoor Amphitheater. Looking for outdoor adventure? A leisure stroll or bike ride along the Katy Trail, located only 1 mile away, will renew your appreciation for nature. Nearby, bustling St. Louis will dazzle visitors with attractions like Busch Stadium, the St. Louis Zoo, the Gateway Arch, Hollywood Casino, and Six Flags St. Louis.
St. Charles, Missouri Attractions
- St. Charles Convention Center - .5 mile
- Historic Main Street - 1 mile
- Bass Pro Shop - .1 mile
- Lindenwood University - 1 mile
- Katy Trail - 1 mile
- Family Arena - 5 miles
- Hollywood Casino - 5 miles
- Earth City Business Park - 5 miles
- Scottrade Center - 18 miles
- Busch Stadium - 18 miles
- Edward Jones Dome - 18 miles
- Six Flags St. Louis - 30 miles
- Rec Plex - 10 miles
- Gateway Arch - 18 miles
- Union Station - 18 miles
- St. Louis Zoo - 15 miles
- Forest Park - 15 miles
- Missouri Botanical Garden - 15 miles
- Butterfly House - 15 miles
- City Museumc - 15 miles
Nearby St. Charles Airports & Transportation
- Lambert-St. Louis International Airport-8 miles
- Spirit of St. Louis Airport-15 miles
- AMTRAK Train Station-20 miles
- Greyhound Bus Station-20 miles
Cities Near St. Charles
- St. Louis-20 miles
- St. Peters-5 miles
- O'Fallon-10 miles
- Maryland Heights-7 miles
Driving Directions to the Quality Inn & Suites Historic St. Charles -From Lambert- St. Louis International Airport. From Lambert International Boulevard, merge onto I-70 W via the ramp to Rental Car Return. Exit 229 B for I-70 Loop N/Fifth Street. Merge onto I-70 Loop W. Make a left on Bass Pro Drive. The Quality Inn & Suites Historic St. Charles will be on the left.
Quality Inn & Suites Historic St. Charles Location Map
View Larger Map